“It is better to give than to receive.” Moreover, a small gift of a few loaves of bread and a few fish was necessary to Jesus’ miracle of the multiplication of the loaves and fish. Such miracles have been a consistent legacy of our church. St. Mary’s gave a gift of more than three thousand dollars in 1847 to the victims of the famine. Care for orphans by an Irish Immigrant janitor at St. Mary’s who became a priest led to the purchase of the “Protectorate” (now St. Raymonds cemetery and environs) as well as Mount Loretto on StatenIsland. 80% of indigent children in NYC in 1880 were cared for Irish nuns, the aftermath of Fr. Drumgoole’s work. In modern times Msgr. Keogh established the Grand Street Guild in 1962 and turned derelict land around the church into 3 high rise apartment building for low income housing which he meant for people “of all faiths and no faith.”
Please give to enable our work to continue in serving God’s people.